Seward Windsong Lodge Employment
Seward is Alaska's seaside town located on the southern tip of Kenai Peninsula. The year-round population is approximately 3,000 residents. This small seaside town is home to a bustling fishing and tourism industry. Yet, there is not a stop light to be found. Seward is a casual and relaxed town that invites you to go anywhere and feel welcome in clean casual clothes or jeans. And in your free time, you'll find there is a lot to do.
- Hiking local mountains
- Marine tours (Kenai Fjords Tours, our sister company, offers employee discounts)
- Dog mushing tours
- Kayaking, both lake and sea
- Hiking on the Harding Ice Field
- Fishing, both ocean, rivers and lakes
- Sea Life Center
- Movie Theater
- Shopping/Restaurants/Gift shops /Grocery stores
- Fitness centers
Travel to Seward Alaska
- Flights - Closest commercial Airport (Ted Stevens International) is in Anchorage, the flight from Seattle is approximately 3 hours in duration.
- Driving- It takes approximately two and a half hours to drive south from Anchorage to Seward along the Seward Highway, designated a Scenic Byway. This is a very spectacular drive.
- Train - Rail travel is available and employees can receive a 50% discount (May 10th thru Sept 15th) if space is available. To receive the discount, a faxed request on company letter head, signed by a Manager must be sent to the Alaska Railroad.
- Shuttle Bus - Travel is available to Seward year round via Seward Bus Line 907-224-3608. They will provide a drop off at Seward Windsong Lodge on request and pick up from the airport for $45 plus tax.
- Coach Service - The Park Connection (May 17th thru Sept 14th) offers two departures a day from the lodge. Employees can receive a 50% discount. ($28 plus tax)
Seward Windsong Lodge is approximately two and a half miles from town located in a woodland area in a glacial river valley. Employees can ride our guest shuttle which runs every hour from 7am to 10pm, a round trip that drops you off at the small boat harbor or downtown.
What would I need to bring with me?
A Good Alarm Clock (battery operated) if you have an early shift! The summer climate can be absolutely gorgeous and sunny one day and cold and wet the next. It can be cold in early May and September so you need an assortment of clothing. The average summer temperature is 65 degrees. Here are some suggestions for items you may need:
- Jacket water and wind proof
- Hiking boots, water proof
- Sweaters and warm fleece
- Shorts, yes there is that possibility of warm
- Uniform pants and shoes (details below)
Federal law requires all employees provide official documentation and proof of eligibility to work in the United States, you must provide either a US passport, drivers license or State issued I.D. card and social security card or birth certificate. Foreign students will need to provide a visa issued by the US Justice Department. If you are in need of a social security card, you can get information at www.socialsecurity.gov you will be prompted for a zip code and the Anchorage office is 99501.
We have housing on property for 72 employees, consisting of 29 cabins for two, four trailers and eight rooms with private bathrooms. We have a staff commons building that accommodates male and female bathrooms/showers a laundry facility, kitchen area and sitting room with television. The employee housing area offers complimentary wireless internet so you can use a laptop if you have one. The lodge will provide bedding and towels. The kitchen area is equipped with fridges stoves and microwaves but you will be required to provide your own cooking utensils. You will be required to sign a housing agreement if you take company housing
The following charges apply if you are offered housing
- A $5 charge per person per day for the use of the cabin and employee commons area.
- A key and damage deposit of $100.00 will be automatically deducted from your pay check over a four week period. The deposit will be refunded when you vacate your cabin, return the key and the cabin passes cleanliness and damage inspection.
- We have four RV sites for private RV units, a charge of $4 a day per person will apply for these sites.
Housing is a community experience and is part of your employment, rules and policies are to help ensure a quality, peaceful living experience for everyone.
- Staff housing is a "dry camp" no alcohol allowed in this area
- Quiet time is from 10pm to 7am. Employees work variable shifts
- Windsong is a smoke free facility; no smoking inside any building or employee cabin
In addition to competative wages we offer a seasonal bonus of up to 5% for a new employee and 10% to any returning employees of wages earned. Bonus is at the lodge management discretion and may be earned for completion of hiring agreement and attaining a satisfactory evaluation.
Pay Days/Direct Deposit
Pay days are bi weekly, every second Friday. We do not allow any pay advances so please ensure you have some funds for food etc for the first three weeks of employment. Seward has two banks if you wish to open a checking account
Wells Fargo Bank 907-224-5283 P.O.Box 517, Seward. AK. 99664
First National Bank 907-224-4200 303 4th Avenue, Seward AK. 99664
Both banks have ATM machines as does Safeway which is open 24hours a day for any of your grocery or personal purchases. We do encourage employees to have pay direct deposited for additional security. We will require you to provide a "void check" on the account you wish to deposit funds to.
Personal Mail Delivery
Personal Mail should be directed to your own post office box. Seward Windsong Lodge will not be responsible for the receipt or delivery of employee mail during the season. To arrange for a private mail box, please contact the Seward Post Office or fill out the online application to apply for Post Office Box service.
If you do not wish to arrange for a private mail box, please have all mail addressed as:
c/o General Delivery
Seward, AK 99664
You may use our address to ship items to Seward ahead of your arrival.
For letters, sent via United States Postal Service:
PO Box 2301, Seward AK 99664
For packages sent via United Parcel Service / FedEx:
Our Geographical address is: 31772 Herman Leirer Road, Seward AK 99664
The Seward Windsong Lodge is a premium facility. We require that all staff be smartly dressed. The Lodge will provide any shirts, jackets or fleeces that are uniform. Front Desk-Gift Shop-Drivers-Porters and Restaurant staff will require at least two pairs of black dress pants, black shoes that are closed toed and can be cleaned and polished. Kitchen staff will be provided with uniform but require suitable safe foot wear for a kitchen environment. Housekeepers, Linen runners, room inspectors and laundry workers can wear kaki dress pants. Jeans will not be acceptable wear for any position.
Standards of Appearance
All employees of Seward Windsong Lodge must follow the grooming standards as a basic condition of employment. Employees are expected to wear their full uniform, clean and pressed. Extreme hair styles and colors are not permitted, no non-natural styles or colors. Jewelry worn on the job must be conservative, in good taste, appropriate to working attire and safe. Visible body piercing, with the exception of ears is not acceptable. Visible body tattoos are also not permitted.
Jobs offered at Seward Windsong Lodge usually start in early May and finish in mid to late September; preference will be given to candidates that can complete a full season. Please apply on line at this website. All employees have to pass a comprehensive back ground check.
Driving applicants must have also meet the following conditions
- Hold a current CDL and be prepared to apply for an AK. CDL
- Provide a three year driving record from the state you reside in
- Pass a pre-employment drug test
- Subject to random drug tests throughout the season
- Complete a Seward Windsong Lodge defensive driver training course
We will start reviewing applicants in mid January.
Thank you for your interest in employment at the Seward Windsong Lodge.
In addition to the spectacular surrounding environment, we can offer a fun and rewarding experience.
Want to see Alaska while getting paid for it? Check out our current job openings.
Would you like to be part of our team?
Get to know our companies better.
[ Back to 'Working for Us' ]
Click here to apply through Intrax - our agency for work/travel programs.