Kenai Fjords Tours Employment
Seward is Alaska's seaside town located on the southern tip of Kenai Peninsula. The year-round population is approximately 3,000 residents. This small seaside town is home to a bustling fishing and tourism industry. Yet, there is not a stop light to be found. Seward is a casual and relaxed town that invites you to go anywhere and feel welcome in clean casual clothes or jeans. And in your free time, you'll find there is a lot to do.
- Hiking local mountains
- Marine tours (We offer our employee discounts)
- Dog mushing tours
- Kayaking, both lake and sea
- Hiking on the Harding Ice Field
- Fishing, both ocean, rivers and lakes
- Sea Life Center
- Movie Theater
- Shopping/Restaurants/Gift shops /Grocery stores
- Fitness centers
Travel to Seward Alaska
- Flights - Closest commercial Airport (Ted Stevens International) is in Anchorage, the flight from Seattle is approximately 3 hours in duration.
- Driving- It takes approximately two and a half hours to drive south from Anchorage to Seward along the Seward Highway, designated a Scenic Byway. This is a very spectacular drive.
- Train - Rail travel is available and employees can receive a 50% discount (May 10th thru Sept 15th) if space is available. To receive the discount, a faxed request on company letter head, signed by a Manager must be sent to the Alaska Railroad.
- Limited, no cost, space available transportation from Anchorage to Seward with Kenai Fjords may be possible for employees traveling between April 1st and May 16th, bookings are required and should be made 48 hours in advance. Pickups are in the early morning and only available at select hotels or locations. Please call 800-270-1238 for additional details.
- Shuttle Bus - Travel is available to Seward year round via Seward Bus Line 907-224-3608. They will provide a drop off at Kenai Fjords Tours on request and pick up from the airport for $45 plus tax.
- Coach Service - The Park Connection (May 17th thru Sept 14th) offers two departures a day from the lodge. Employees can receive a 50% discount. ($28 plus tax)
Kenai Fjords Tours is located in the small boat harbor and easily accessible by car, bike, foot. There are local taxi services available 24 hours a day.
What would I need to bring with me?
A Good Alarm Clock (battery operated) if you have an early shift! The summer climate can be absolutely gorgeous and sunny one day and cold and wet the next. It can be cold in early May and September so you need an assortment of clothing. The average summer temperature is 65 degrees some suggestions would be
- Jacket water and wind proof
- Hiking boots, water proof
- Sweaters and warm fleece
- Shorts, yes there is that possibility of warm weather
- Uniform pants and shoes (details below)
Federal law requires all employees provide official documentation and proof of eligibility to work in the United States, you must provide either a US passport, drivers license or State issued I.D. card and social security card or birth certificate. Foreign students will need to provide a visa issued by the US Justice Department. If you are in need of a social security card, you can get information at www.socialsecurity.gov you will be prompted for a zip code and the Anchorage office is 99501.
We have limited housing available for employees. Housing is generally reserved for new employees, based upon availability. Each unit has a kitchen, dinning area, living room, as well as washer and dryer. We will provide bedding and towels. The kitchen area is equipped with fridges stoves and microwaves, and cooking utensils. You will be required to sign a housing agreement if you are provided with company housing. Other housing options may be found in our local newspaper the Seward Phoenix Log or Seward City News.
The following charges apply if you are offered housing
- $100 per person per pay period for the apartment housing
- A key and damage deposit of $100.00 will be automatically deducted from your pay check over a four week period. The deposit will be refunded when you vacate your room, return the key and bedding and the room passes cleanliness and damage inspection.
Housing is a community experience and is part of your employment, rules and policies are to help ensure a quality, peaceful living experience for everyone.
- Staff housing is a "dry camp" no alcohol allowed in this area
- Quiet time is from 10pm to 7am. Employees work variable shifts
- Kenai Fjords Tours is a smoke free facility; no smoking inside any building
- Pets are not allowed in company housing.
Wages and Bonuses
In addition to competitive wages we offer a seasonal bonus of up to 5% for all employees and, Bonus is given at the discretion of the General Manager and may be earned for completion of hiring agreement and attaining a satisfactory evaluation.
Pay Days/Direct Deposit
Pay days are bi weekly, every second Friday. We do not allow any pay advances so please ensure you have some funds for food etc for the first three weeks of employment. Seward has two banks if you wish to open a checking account
Wells Fargo Bank 907-224-5283 P.O.Box 517, Seward. AK. 99664
First National Bank 907-224-4200 303 4th Avenue, Seward AK. 99664
Both banks have ATM machines as does Safeway which is open 24hours a day for any of your grocery or personal purchases. We do encourage employees to have pay direct deposited for additional security. We will require you to provide a "void check" on the account you wish to deposit funds to.
Postage and Mail delivery
You are requested to arrange for your own mail box at the Seward Post office. You can mail to General Delivery, Seward Post Office. Seward. 99664. Telephone 907-224-3001.You can collect your mail from the retail window with appropriate identification. You can use our address to ship additional items to Seward ahead of your arrival.
For United States mail: P.O.Box 1889, Seward AK 99664 For United Parcel Sevice/Fedex (deliveries): 1304 4th Ave., Seward AK 99664
Kenai Fjords Tours is a premium facility. We require that all staff be smartly dressed. We will provide any shirts, jackets or fleeces that are uniform. We require that you have at least two pairs of black dress pants, black shoes that are closed toed and can be cleaned and polished for all employees. Jeans will not be acceptable wear for any position.
Standards of Appearance
All employees of Kenai Fjords Tours must follow the grooming standards as a basic condition of employment. Employees are expected to wear their full uniform, clean and pressed. Extreme hair styles and colors are not permitted, no non-natural styles or colors. Jewelry worn on the job must be conservative, in good taste, appropriate to working attire and safe. Visible body piercing, with the exception of ears is not acceptable. Visible body tattoos are also not permitted.
Jobs offered at Kenai Fjords Tours usually start in early May and finish in the third week of September; preference will be given to candidates that can complete a full season. Please apply on line at this website. All employees have to pass a comprehensive back ground check and a pre-employment drug test.
Driving applicants must have also meet the following conditions
- Hold a current CDL and be prepared to apply for an AK. CDL
- Provide a three year driving record from the state you reside in
- Pass a drug test
- Complete a Kenai Fjords Tours defensive driver training course
The application process is "on going" and will start reviewing applicants in mid January.
Thank you for your interest in applying for work with Kenai Fjords Tours.
In addition to the spectacular surrounding environment, we can offer a fun and rewarding experience.
Want to see Alaska while getting paid for it? Check out our current job openings.
Would you like to be part of our team?
Get to know our companies better.
[ Back to 'Working for Us' ]
Click here to apply through Intrax - our agency for work/travel programs.