Prince William Sound Employment
Whittier is located 60 miles south of Anchorage, and 60 miles north of Seward. Whittier is accessed via North America's longest shared use tunnel. This unique and historic tunnel is a one-way toll tunnel and shared with the Alaska Railroad. The tunnel is open to incoming traffic on the ½ hour and on the hour coming out of Whittier. This charming sea-side community has a year round population of fewer than 200 but explodes to triple that in the summer with the increase of seasonal activities and employees. There is one grocery store and two small convenience stores in town as well as several excellent dining opportunities.
- Hiking local mountains
- Sea kayaking
- Scuba diving
- Inline skating or ski skating
- Superb berry picking
- Fishing, Halibut and Salmon
- Hike or tram up Mt Alyeska (Alaska premier ski resort - 20 minutes from Whittier)
Indoor Activities - Anchorage and Seward 1 hour from Whittier
- Alaska Native Heritage Center
- Sea Life Center
- Movie Theaters
- Shopping/Restaurants/Gift shops /Grocery stores
- Fitness centers
Travel to Whittier Alaska
- Closest commercial Airport (Ted Stevens International) is in Anchorage, the flight from Seattle is approximately 3 hours in duration.
- Driving- takes approximately 1 hour from Anchorage south, it is a very spectacular ride.
- Bus Travel is free through Prince William Sound Glacier Cruises (PWSGC) to Whittier coordinated with the Manger
- Train travel with 50% employee discount is available( May 10th thru Sept 15th) requires a faxed request on company letter head, signed by a Manager
The PWSGC office and dock are about a 15 minute walk from employee housing. A company van is provided to transport crew and supplies to and from housing and work. The company van is made available to the crew twice a week for communal grocery runs to Anchorage. Those who drive the van will have to complete PWSGC defensive driver training course
What would I need to bring with me?
A Good Alarm Clock (battery operated) if you have an early shift! The summer climate can be absolutely gorgeous and sunny one day and cold and wet the next. It can be cold in early May and September so you need an assortment of clothing. The average summer temperature is 65 degrees some suggestions would be
- Jacket water and wind proof
- Hiking boots, water proof
- Sweaters and warm fleece
- Shorts, yes there is that possibility of warm
- Uniform pants and shoes (details below)
Federal law requires all employees provide official documentation and proof of eligibility to work in the United States, you must provide either a US passport or drivers license and social security card or birth certificate. Foreign students will need to provide a visa issued by the US Justice Department. Anyone not having a social security card can get information at www.socialsecurity.gov you will prompt for a zip code and the Anchorage office is 99501.
We have housing in the Begich Towers for 10 employees, consisting of 2 three-bedroom apartments. There are 5 people to an apartment, which means shared rooms. The apartment may be co-ed but the bedrooms are not. The employee housing area offers complimentary cable TV and wireless internet so you can use a laptop if you have one. PWSGC will provide bedding and towels. The kitchen area is equipped with fridges stoves and microwaves dishes and cooking utensils. You will be required to sign a housing agreement if you take company housing
The following charges apply if you are offered housing
- $50 per person per pay period for the apartment housing
- A key and damage deposit of $100 will be automatically deducted from your pay check over a two week period. The deposit will be refunded when you vacate your cabin, return the key and the cabin passes cleanliness and damage inspection.
- Arrangements can be made for RV living with a $4.00 a day charge for electricity.
Housing is a community experience and is part of your employment, rules and policies are to help ensure a quality, peaceful living experience for everyone.
- Staff housing is a "dry camp" no alcohol allowed in this area
- Quiet time is from 10pm to 7am. Employees work variable shifts.
- PWSGC is a smoke free facility; no smoking inside any building or employee housing.
Pay Days/Direct Deposit
Pay days are bi weekly, every second Friday. We do not allow any pay advances so please ensure you have some funds for food etc for the first three weeks of employment. There is not a bank in Whittier, but several options in Anchorage. There are 2 privately owned ATM machines in town. We do encourage employees to have pay direct deposited for additional security. We will require you to provide a "void check" on the account you wish to deposit funds to.
Wages and Bonus
In addition to completive wages we offer a seasonal bonus of up to 5% earned for contract completion and attaining a satisfactory evaluation. Bonus is at the marine operations management discretion and may be earned for completion of hiring agreement and attaining a satisfactory evaluation. Pay Days / Direct Deposit
Pay days are bi weekly, every second Friday. We do not allow any pay advances so please ensure you have some funds for food etc for the first three weeks of employment. We do encourage employees to have pay direct deposited for additional security. We will require you to provide a "void check" on the account you wish to deposit funds to.
Personal Mail Delivery
Personal Mail should be addressed to:
c/o General Delivery
Whittier, AK 99693
You may use our address to ship items to Whittier ahead of your arrival.
For letters, sent via United States Postal Service:
509 W Fourth Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501
For packages sent via United Parcel Service / FedEx:
Our Anchorage office is located at: 509 W Fourth Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501
Prince William Sound Glacier Cruises is a premium facility. We require that all staff be smartly dressed. We will provide 3 shirts, 1 water resistant jacket and a fleece that are uniform. You will be required to provide at least two pairs of black dress pants, and good sturdy shoes (preferably black or dark and waterproof). Jeans will not be acceptable wear for any position.
Standards of Appearance
All employees of PWSGC must follow the grooming standards as a basic condition of employment. Employees are expected to wear their full uniform, clean and pressed. Extreme hair styles and colors are not permitted, no non-natural styles or colors. Jewelry worn on the job must be conservative, in good taste, appropriate to working attire and safe. Visible body piercing, with the exception of ears is not acceptable. Visible body tattoos are also not permitted.
Jobs offered at PWSGC usually start in early May and finish in the third week of September; preference will be given to candidates that can complete a full season. Please apply on line at this website. All employees have to pass a comprehensive back ground check.
Driving applicants must have met the following added conditions.
- Hold a current CDL and be prepared to apply for an AK. CDL.
- Provide a two year driving record from the state you reside in
- Pass a drug test
- Complete a PWSGC defensive driver training course.
The application process is "on going" and will start reviewing applicants in mid January.
Thank you for your interest in applying for work with Prince William Sound Glacier Cruises.
In addition to the spectacular surrounding environment, we can offer a fun and rewarding experience.
Want to see Alaska while getting paid for it? Check out our current job openings.
Would you like to be part of our team?
Get to know our companies better.
[ Back to 'Working for Us' ]
Click here to apply through Intrax - our agency for work/travel programs.